This could not have happened in a better way-
Almost escaping the vulture eyes since last 12 months, I on account of being overconfident almost bought my bike close to one of the cop at one red light crossing. Did I made this cop happy? No - but might happy.
I was driving my bike with HR number and since Pune traffic cops are always on a lookout for a number plate which doesn't have a MH number. - Vultures
Abandoning all his other traffic duties, he nicely made his way, came directly in front of my bike, making a stop signal off his palm, and with another hand, pointing with finger to a direction for me to park, he kept his body right in front of me - as if I would run.
He ignored motorists without helmets, motorists with three riders, motorists with fancy number plates, motorists who were using cellphones!!! Rather he found me as more juicy-
And the conservation began -
cop- Show me your papers! (Here cop starts building pressure)
I made up my mind to take this conversation to a different level
me-Sir! you must be interested only in NOC (no objection certificate) I said with a slight nervous smile.
cop- offcourse that is one part of the complete set of papers!
me-I don't have NOC!
copy-Then you have to pay fine of Rs 2000/- Law must be followed. (Not sure thats an actual fine, but here again they build up a pressure - cops will always share the maximum fine set by law - not the minimum)
me-Even if you fine me, I wouldn't be able to arrange NOC! My bike worth is not more that 10000/- and NOC will cost 7000/- to 8000/- Rs!!
cop-no! only 500/-
me-Those are official charges. Touts and middlemen charges are extra. And no traffic cop either, wants public to get an NOC and reduce their source of easy income! would you??? I said with smile.
cop - smiling!! So !!
I could see where the entire conversation was going!!
me- Tell me how much should I pay you? (not more than 100/- I thought) and in the same breath, I know a cop near a flyover and other one at the next crossing - they both remember my face and keep their fees as little as 50/-
cop-800/-
me- (with a shocking expression) Thats lot - Nobody charges that much. Its never more than 100/-
cop-what do you do? (Here cops enter negotiations - Rate is finalized based on the prey profession. A rickshaw puller can escape the clutches in as little as 5 bucks)
me-I am working in a transport company. ( had I told me my real profession - He would have forced me for 1000/- bucks . At least!!!!)
cop-where?
me-nearby - Pradhikaran. and we send your department a weekly payment also (with smile). My salary is not so much that I can't afford 800/- bucks. and my employer will not believe either that I was stopped by cop, so he will not reimburse any money!!
cop-So why are you driving with NON-Maharashtra number? (Here - he is melting)
me-My employer wouldn't give me any vehicle and I was transfered here for only 3 months. Company forced me bring my own bike.
cop-OK you sound honest! and since you have told me everything truthfully, give me only 300/-
me-Sir! you would be able to manage 1000s from many other people, why take so much from me...!! (again a smile with an expression of poverty on my face)
cop-then how much?
me-I can only give 100/-
cop-ok! Quickly!! and try to complete your papers
I pulled out an 100 currency diligently, fearing that my fingers would rather stick to 500 denomination...thank god - it was a 100/- bill. I pushed it in the cop's palm ( greasing!! :-)
Cop finally cleared my way by moving over to the side!
me-Thank you sir! He smiled back -
The whole thing took not more than 5-7 minutes, but point here is that Govt. no matter how much it tries to curb bribing or corruption, its employee's are always two steps ahead. Everyone in the traffic dept. knows that public would require an NOC. But to make extra bucks on this law - dept. push people by delaying NOC to such an extent that public decides to rather not have it. On top of it - people who push themselves to get an NOC have to do that through middle men. charges of middle men are so much that a owner of the vehicle finally drops the plan of having an NOC and rather pay cop and 100 or 200 bucks a month, which equals to not more than 2400/- an year rather than spending 8000/- bucks. And offcourse this doesn't happen every month. Soon as one get accustom to geography, one gets to know shortcuts and ways to avoid these cops. I as a matter of fact, have spend only 170/- this year. Better than spending 8000/- :-)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment